Background

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Daycare

I had to get this off my chest after lots of tears and sleepless nights...

While I am usually ecstatic about this time of year...school letting out and summer beginning...I am feeling very sad about the beginning of summer this year. To me, it means that my days home with Jack are coming to a close, faster that I even thought it would.

I know that finding just the right daycare is hard for any mom, and leaving your baby is hard for any mom, but I feel even more stress and strain because of Jack's medical concerns. It is going to be hard to find someone that will take Jack with his g-tube and continuous feedings, and even harder for me to trust someone to take care of Jack and all that comes with him.

My mom sent myself and my brother and sister to a home daycare when she was working while were little. We went to the best daycare ever! Retta's house. It was actually Loretta, but I couldn't say my "L's". I remember playing with the other kids, being outside, helping take care of the babies, doing special craft projects, reading books, going on walks and bike rides, going to the pool in the summer, and healthy, homemade lunches and snacks. We were always busy and and I remember it being such a caring, loving and fun environment. We became very close with Loretta and her family and are still are till this day. I believe that's where my brother and I were dropped off to when my sister was born! Her whole family took care of us and her kids even babysat us on the weekends when my parents had to be gone. As I grew up, I would go over to Loretta's after school and help out with the little kids. Eventually, I began babysitting Loretta's grand kids and many of the other daycare kids.

Now I am on the search for my own "Retta" for Jack. Somewhere I know he will be safe, cared for with love, fed healthy meals and snack, be read to, get fresh air, have interaction with other kids, and be given new, nurturing experiences in a warm and homey environment. After seeing a few places, I feel like maybe I'm asking for too much. Maybe my mom got lucky in finding such and amazing family to take care of us while she was working. But I will keep looking, I have only just begun!

But while I am searching, I am going to enjoy every single minute that I have left with my little man. I don't care if the laundry isn't done, or the kitchen is dirty, or there are weeds in my garden. I don't care if I miss shows on TV or my hair doesn't get done. I just want to soak up all the "Jack" I can in these final months of being home with favorite little person on the planet. I am going to fill our summer with days of swinging, picnics in the park, swimming, zoo trips and play dates. And I am going to take advantage of every rainy, cuddly, nap-in-my-arms kind of day that comes along as well.

I feel better know, maybe I will be able to sleep tonight, and if you know of any great daycare's in the area, let me know!

  

1 comment: