Background

Friday, March 11, 2011

It's a Great Day to Fly

So I was on bed rest for about two weeks. It was hard, especially because summer is my very favorite time of year and I am not really one to sit around during those summer days. It was finally a nice hot summer and not a lot of rain, so there were many perfect pool days. Matt would make me a spot on the pool deck and I was able to watch him and the dog swim a few times. I also had doctor appointments two to three times a week where I would have ultrasounds and was able to see the baby, which was always super exciting. My contractions were being monitored at home and I was having anywhere from 2-4 contractions an hour which was acceptable. Oh, and I was super depressed about not being able to decorate the nursery or get the house ready for a baby. I did a lot of online shopping!

I was on an anti-labor med given to me through a pump in my leg and that med made may heart race and made me feel very jittery. I remember stuttering when I would get my bolus doses. But my doctor assured me that every day the baby stayed in my belly would make it's journey into this world easier. I was told that I could go off of the meds and bed rest at 36 weeks. I was given two doses of steroids to help with the development of the baby's lungs just in case baby decided to make an early appearance.

So I was at a "routine" doctor's appointment...I had my ultrasound first, which I was of course excited for, and the baby looked good and active. Then she checked my cervix and seemed very concerned. I remember saying to her something like "That's not good, is it." I was dilated to a two, had no cervix, and a bulging bag of water plus crazy contractions! Suddenly I was in tears again and my doctor was giving me choices about what hospital I wanted to be admitted to that had a level three nursery. Apparently this baby was coming and I didn't have a choice about it! Now I was 28 weeks, still way to early to have this kid!

I was admitted to Ottawa Hospital again, through the ER...I went straight to a delivery room...while plans were made to admit me to OSF in Peoria. I remember calling my husband and he didn't understand the urgency in the situation. He said he was going to come home from work early, go home, change his clothes, and let the dog out...tell that to a pregnant woman in labor!

So at Ottawa Hospital I was put on a crazy high dose of anti-labor drugs that made me very hot and thirsty...and eventually nauseous. Oh, and the one that made me jittery too. I had to lay with my feet above my head so everything ran to my head and gave me a horrible headache.

So, hubby is there, holding my hand, and the nurses come in saying that my helicopter will be there shortly to take me to Peoria! What?!?! Can't my husband drive me or can't I take an ambulance instead (the doctor was honestly afraid that the jarring of a car ride would put me further into labor)? The seriousness of the situation finally set in and I was scared to death of so many things.  But I insisted that I was NOT going to have this baby yet. This is not what I planned and the baby room is not done yet...I haven't even had a baby shower, we have no "stuff"!

So my "bird" arrived to take me to Peoria and with it came an amazing flight crew who made me feel at ease with all of the going on's and just flying in general. It was a beautiful summer evening, not a cloud in the sky. Since I had to lay on my side, I was able to look out the window and take it all in. In an instant I was able to recognize landmarks and knew we were over my house. By that time my brother and hubby were in the driveway of my house and they were able to take a picture of the chopper that was taking me to "safety".

It was a beautiful evening to fly and I felt at peace knowing that I was going to a place that would be able to better handle my situation and take care of my baby with it's medical issues that would arise being born at 28 weeks. I was able to watch the sun set and stars come out all from the window of my "bird".

From this day forward, every time I saw or heard a helicopter, I say a quick little prayer asking for the safety of the crew and health of the passenger...that's a LOT of prayers because OSF has a very, very busy heli-pad!

Never had I been so joyful to be in a place of safety...

No comments:

Post a Comment